Prepare Ahead to Ease
the Claims Process
Insurance is something you hope you never have to use, but if you should ever need to file a claim after experiencing a loss, the following suggestions can make the process easier:
- Written Inventory – Create and regularly update a written inventory of your home’s contents.
- Video or Photographic Record – Videotape or photograph the contents of your home, and the exterior from different viewpoints and angles.
- Identify – Engrave or mark larger possessions to show ownership.
- Appraisals – Have someone appraise your jewelry, antiques, stamps, coins, and other valuable collectibles.
- Document Security – Keep your insurance policy, home inventory, appraisals, photos and video records in a secure secondary location (such as your office or a safety deposit box). Update your records and documentation annually.